Stanley A. Barg
Stan practices in the areas of tax law and estate planning with a particular emphasis on planning for international families. He advises clients throughout the world on matters pertaining to U.S. income, estate and gift taxation, the establishment and maintenance of international trusts, the use of life insurance, the structure of investments in the United States by non-U.S. persons, expatriation from the United States and other related matters.
The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (“STEP”) is a worldwide professional association focused on family inheritance and succession planning. Stan is a member of STEP’s Worldwide Council, he participates in STEP's Public Policy Committee, which develops public policy positions on behalf of STEP on the issues relating to cross-border and international practice, and he is the immediate past Chairman of STEP USA. In addition, Stan is a member of the ABA's Taxation and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law and International sections, the International Bar Association, and the International Tax Planning Association.
Stan has been recognized by Citywealth as a member of its Leaders List in Private Wealth Management for North America and has an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Stan is admitted to practice in New York, the District of Columbia and Pennsylvania and is also a member of the Israel Bar Association qualified to practice in Israel as a foreign lawyer. Stan is a frequent national and international speaker and author. He is a 1975 graduate of New York University School of Law (LL.M. in Taxation).
Recent Representative Projects
- Advised the trustees of an international trust where some of the trust beneficiaries were becoming residents of the United States
- Advised individuals who were surrendering their U.S. citizenship
- Advised trustees of an international trust making a substantial real estate acquisition in the United States
- Advised a non-U.S. based family as to how to make gifts to their children residing in the United States
- Advised an individual who was regarded as a resident for tax purposes of both the United States and France as to how to minimize his overall income tax liability
Selected Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Contributing Author, Trusts in Prime Jurisdictions, Fourth Edition 2016, Global Law and Business Ltd.
- Co-Chair, “The Inaugural STEP USA Conference”, San Diego, California, June 4-5, 2015
- Panelist, “21st Century Structuring Options”, Transcontinental Trusts Bermuda Forum, Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda, April 27-28, 2015
- Speaker, “Who is a U.S. Person and How to Expatriate”, STEP, Zurich, Switzerland, April 15, 2015
- Speaker, “Corporate Structuring Using Offshore and Onshore Entities”, Offshore Investment 21st World Offshore Convention, New York, New York, October 14-15, 2014
- Speaker, “Operation of U.S. Check the Box Rules in International Tax Planning”, New York State Bar Association, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 26, 2014
- Speaker, “Effective U.S. Tax Planning for Heirs with U.S. Family Connections”, STEP Israel Annual Conference, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 24, 2014
- Speaker, “Practitioners’ Update: U.S. Developments”, 16th National Conference of STEP Canada, Toronto, Ontario, June 16-17, 2014
- Speaker, “Taxation of Foreign Trusts with U.S. Beneficiaries”, 10th Annual International Estate Planning Institute, New York, New York, March 13-14, 2014
Direct Fax: 212.937.3114
E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org